Content


Location: Nyaung Shwe, Myanmar (20�39'N 96�56'E)
Date: 19 December 2000; 3.15pm
Canon EOS 500N (analogue) on slides and scanned

Nyaungshwe is a small village north of Lake Inle of Myanmar and is the hub to visit the lake and surrounds. When I visited the village in 2000, it was a very small place of a couple of thousand people, no more. I am sure it has grown a lot now with Lake Inle being a major tourist destination in Myanmar now. It was a village with farming as the major activity then. The village is very much a water-borne village and the main mode of transport is by boats. The people are extremely friendly as is the most of Myanmar. Ordinary Myanmese who speaks English are very keen to engage foreigners in conversation to learn about the outside world and what they know and think of their country; this is because generally they are shut out of the world by one of the most repressive military dictatorship/regime in the world. As was discussed in one of my earlier post, I have no love for the Myanmar military junta but do not support tourism boycott of the country.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

About

Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times…I just shoot at what interests me at that moment. – Elliott Erwitt"
“I treat the photograph as a work of great complexity in which you can find drama. Add to that a careful composition of landscapes, live photography, the right music and interviews with people, and it becomes a style.” – Ken Burns