Content


Location: Venus de Milo at the Louvre Museum, Paris, France (48�51'39?N 2�20'09?E)
Date: 26 February 2006; 1.25pm
Camera: Canon 300D with kit kens

Aphrodite of Milos, better known as the Venus de Milo, is an ancient Greek statue. It is one of the most famous works of ancient Greek sculpture. It was discovered on the Aegean island of Milos and was purchased by the French and brought to the Louvre Museum in 1820. The statue had captured people's imagination; from its emotionless and mysterious expression, the sensuality and style of her carelessly held drapery and the feminine quality of the Goddess's back. Its beauty is controversial and is dependent on the viewer's interpretations. Often it is difficult if not impossible to appreciate the original cultural context of a piece of artwork as time changes its contextual meaning and messages- it can only be assumed as is the case with the Aphrodite of Milos. The statue was one of the must-see for me on my visit to Paris as I have been intrigued by the statue ever since seeing it as the Venus Pencil logo (stylised form) as a kid.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

About

Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times…I just shoot at what interests me at that moment. – Elliott Erwitt"
“I treat the photograph as a work of great complexity in which you can find drama. Add to that a careful composition of landscapes, live photography, the right music and interviews with people, and it becomes a style.” – Ken Burns